Header Image

Sandra Moonsamy kidnappers will not apply to be released on bail

Sandra Moonsamy kidnappers will not apply to be released on bail

The four people accused of kidnapping Durban businesswoman Sandra Moonsamy will not apply to be released on bail, it emerged in court on Monday during their second appearance in the Durban Magistrate’s Court. Representing two of the accused, former national director of public prosecutions Mxolisi Nxasana said his clients would only consider applying for bail

The four people accused of kidnapping Durban businesswoman Sandra Moonsamy will not apply to be released on bail, it emerged in court on Monday during their second appearance in the Durban Magistrate’s Court.

Representing two of the accused, former national director of public prosecutions Mxolisi Nxasana said his clients would only consider applying for bail once they saw the police docket. Some of the accused needed a Portuguese translator for the brief proceedings before Magistrate Anand Maharaj.

Family members of two Mozambican nationals accused of the kidnapping were also in the public gallery.

The men, who were previously held at Durban Central police station, will be moved to Westville Prison, Maharaj said.

Outside court, Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi said two of the accused claimed to be South Africans. “That is with Home Affairs now. We are waiting for their verification on that.”

He added that the Hawks hoped to finalise various aspects of the case before it returned to court on January 20, 2020. “We want to finalise the international part of the investigation. We previously announced that there are matters we are looking at in Mozambique to see if the suspects are linked to anything there.”

Posts Carousel

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos